Housing Disrepair Claims


If you live in a property that is in need of repair, you might be entitled to compensation. There are a few things you need to consider before submitting your claim. These include time limits and legal options. In addition to providing you with a safe home, landlords are also responsible for the upkeep of external pipes and structures.

Common types of housing disrepair in leeds

If you are a tenant and have found that your home is in a state of disrepair, you may be entitled to compensation from your landlord. The government has strict rules on keeping rented homes in good condition and you may be able to get compensation if your landlord is at fault. If your landlord is not repairing the property, you can file a claim for compensation through the County Court. Alternatively, you can file a claim in the Magistrates’ Court.

If you notice any of the above problems in your home, it is essential to keep detailed records. Take pictures or video recordings of the damaged areas and retain copies of correspondence with your landlord. This could include letters, emails or text messages. Also, make notes about any discussions you had with the landlord, including the date, name, and number of people you spoke to.

Time limits for filing a claim

There are time limits when filing a housing disrepair claim, and tenants should act promptly to report any problems. The landlord is legally obliged to fix the problems within a reasonable time. However, the amount of time depends on the circumstances of the case. For example, a broken boiler will require a much faster response than a leaky exterior pipe.

Moreover, a disrepair claim can be filed only when actual disrepair has occurred. In some cases, tenants may be able to seek compensation for general inconvenience as well as actual financial losses. It is important to note that disrepair claims have a six-year time limit, while personal injury or illness claims are only limited to three years. If you have experienced any of these problems, contact an expert disrepair solicitor to help you.

Once you’ve notified the landlord, you can file a housing disrepair claim in the County Court or the Magistrates’ Court. While these cases are not always successful, they are usually fairly straightforward. You may be entitled to monetary compensation based on a percentage of your rent if you’ve been affected by the disrepair.